Talk to Someone Now
If you need immediate help, call the Anthem Blue Cross Behavioral Health Resource Center 24/7 at (844) 792-5141. There is no cost to you for this service.
UC’s plans care for the whole person—physically and emotionally—and include behavioral health benefits for mental health services and substance abuse treatment. You and your covered family members can use behavioral health benefits for sessions with counselors, psychologists or psychiatrists to address issues such as:
- Depression and anxiety
- Alcohol or drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Medication management
- Autism and pervasive developmental disorders
Behavioral health benefits are provided through Anthem Blue Cross. You can see any behavioral health provider you choose, but you’ll pay less and receive higher benefit coverage when you see an in-network provider. Some services may require prior authorization.
Present your Anthem ID card when you receive behavioral health services.
You can also choose to receive care from out-of-network providers. However, it’s important to know that your costs will be significantly higher when you get out-of-network care, and you’ll have to file claims.
Following are your costs for many common treatments. For more details about these or treatments not listed, see the 2018 UC Care Benefit Booklet.
Medical/Behavioral Health Calendar-Year Deductible1
The amount you pay before the plan begins to share in the cost for covered services.
Medical/Behavioral Health Out-of-Pocket Maximum2
(Combined with pharmacy out-of-pocket expenses)
The most you’ll pay for covered health care services in a calendar year.
Family: $19,200 per family
Therapist and Physician Office Visits
|No copayment for first 3 visits; then $20 copayment per visit||50% after deductible3|
|LiveHealth Online Psychology||Your first 3 consultations are free with coupon code UCPSYCH, then $20 per visit thereafter (coupon code must be applied when making your appointment)||Your first 3 consultations are free with coupon code UCPSYCH, then $20 per visit thereafter (coupon code must be applied when making your appointment)|
|Inpatient Non-Emergency Facility Services||$250 copay per admission/course of treatment4||50% after deductible3|
1. In-network and out-of-network calendar-year deductibles are separate—what you pay toward one doesn’t count toward the other.
2. In-network (Anthem Preferred and UC Select) medical, behavioral health and prescription drug out-of-pocket copayment maximums count toward each other. In-network and out-of-network medical copayment maximums are separate—what you pay toward one doesn’t count toward the other.
3. You may be billed for charges above the allowable charge—this is called balance billing. You will be responsible for these charges, in addition to any copayment.
4. Includes hospital/facility-based treatment, such as acute inpatient treatment, detoxification services, residential treatment or recovery home treatment. These services require preauthorization in order to be covered. The copayment for an inpatient admission includes any related inpatient professional services.
Use Castlight’s Online Tools to Find the Right Therapist
View quality ratings and reviews from other patients, and get recommendations based on where you live. Log in to Anthem and click Find a Doctor, Hospital or Urgent Care (under Resources & Tools).
Let Anthem Health Guide Do the Legwork
Their experts will help you navigate the confusing health care system so you get connected to the right care quickly. Call Anthem Health Guide at (844) 437-0486 or log in to Anthem and click under the “Customer Support” tab to chat or send an email.
Faculty and Staff Assistance Programs
Free and confidential Faculty & Staff Assistance Programs (employee assistance services) are available through UC at each UC location. For a list of services by location, go to ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/contacts/faculty-staff-assistance-programs.html.
Online or by Phone
With LiveHealth Online Psychology, the therapist comes to you. Discuss sensitive topics with a therapist in the privacy and comfort of your own home (or other private location)—through online video or by phone.