Preventive care is all about building healthy habits.
There are the little things you can do every day, like washing your hands and keeping your workspace clean. (Read this tip sheet for other ways to stay healthy year-round.)
Then, there are the bigger things—like getting the right preventive screenings and immunizations based on your age and gender. To get started, read the Anthem Blue Cross preventive care plans and guidelines to see the recommended screenings for your age and gender. Take them with you to your next annual preventive care exam and work with your doctor to develop a preventive care plan.
Prevention and Primary Care
Partnering with a primary care provider will help you ensure that your preventive screenings and health care are appropriate and well-coordinated.
If you already have a primary care provider, we encourage you to continue your relationship. If you do not have a primary care provider, consider contacting the UC medical center near your home or workplace:
UC Davis Medical Group: (800) 2-UC-DAVIS (282-3284)
- Offices in 10 communities across the region.
- Formally recognized for patient-centered care.
- Access to renowned UC Davis specialists.
- Online scheduling, messaging, records and more.
- Same- and next-day urgent care appointments.
UC Irvine Health: (714) 456-7002
- Services including treatment for acute or chronic illness, physical exams, flu shots and more.
- Specialists in either family medicine, internal medicine or geriatric care.
- Primary care providers at eight locations.
UCLA Health System: (800) UCLA-MD1 (825-2631)
- More than 150 primary care offices throughout Southern California.
UC San Diego Health: (800) 926-8273
- More than 30 primary care doctors named in San Diego Magazine’s 2015 annual survey of top doctors.
- No. 1-ranked health care system in San Diego.
UC San Francisco Medical Center: (844) PCP-UCSF (727-8273)
- Primary care clinics offering a wide range of services, including routine health examinations, pediatric care, internal medicine, women’s health and chronic condition management.
You can also search for a primary care provider at anthem.com/ca.
- Enter the type of provider you’re looking for, such as family practice.
- Enter the distance you’re willing to travel.
- You can also click on “Accepting New Patients” and/or “Able to Serve as a Primary Care Physician.”
- Click “Print” to create a PDF directory of the first 250 providers listed in your search results; the directory can be printed and/or emailed. (It is not a list of all providers.)
You can also find primary care providers by calling Anthem Health Guide, toll-free, at (844) 437-0486, Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (Pacific).